One of the most important things in our Christian life is to be obedient to God, but that is also often the hardest. Sometimes we don’t want to follow his commands because they don’t seem ‘fun” enough but there are other times we don’t follow Him because we really don’t know what He means. So, with God’s blessing, I’ve translated the 10 Commandments into a list of “Do’s” for the Christian teen. While we could go into detail on what each of these really means and looks like (and we probably will at some point), right now I’m going to follow my own rule and keep it simple and straight forward.
1. Do make God first in your life.
2. Do be sure that other things don’t take God’s place in your life, such friends, boyfriends, parents, school, sports, etc. (I know, I cheated and included a negative!)
3. Do show respect for the name of God. (No more OMG!)
4. Do make time to slow down and spend time with God.
5. Do be respectful and courteous toward your parents. (Yes, you have to help with the laundry!)
6. Do be respectful of all life.
7. Do show loyalty to family and friends and encourage others to do the same.
8. Do respect others property.
9. Do always tell the truth, even when it hurts.
10. Do be content with what you have instead of always wanting something more, bigger or better.
Those may seem like a lot of things to remember but Jesus, being the awesome guy he is, made it easy to remember when he said, “So in everything, do to others what you have them do to you, for this sums up the Law of the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12 In other words, always consider how you would want someone to treat you, and treat them the same and you’ll pretty much cover them all!
Thank you so much for providing such clear expectations of us. Though it may seem like a lot, we know that we can do anything you have called us to do with the strength you will supply. Help us to remember these “do’s” and always treat others the way we would want to be treated. Thank you for demonstrating this so powerfully on the cross. In your precious son’s name we pray, Amen.
Scriptures: Exodus 20:1-17